Grandmaster Kamil Miton is confirmed to play in the 2007 Canadian Open Chess Championship.
GM Miton, Poland's No. 2 player whose current FIDE rating is 2653, is playing in the 2007 Canadian Open thanks to the kind support of the Embassy of the Republic of Poland in Ottawa and LOT Polish Airlines.
Just 23, GM Miton has numerous tournament victories and achievements to his credit, including
- Polish Junior Champion under 12 (Zagań 1996) - scoring 11/11
- World Junior Champion under 12 (Menorca 1996)
- Vice World Junior Champion under 20 (Yerevan 2000)
- Winner of the World Open (Philadelphia 2002)
- First place in International Open Chess Tournament (Las Vegas 2004)
- Winner of the World Open (Philadelphia 2005)
GM Miton is the 16th Grandmaster to confirm his participation in the 2007 Canadian Open, to be held at the Ottawa Marriott from July 7 to 15. British GM Nigel Short tops the field, followed by GM Vadim Milov of Switzerland, GM Sergey Tiviakov of the Netherlands and GM Miton of Poland. The one-section field so far includes 220 players representing all playing strengths and more than a dozen chess federations. They are competing for place, class and special prizes from a prize fund of $26,500.
For more information on the event, and the register online, visit www.canchess.ca.